When selecting furniture for your home it’s just practical to consider items that could go into any room. Consider the tips below to help you choose furniture – and accessory pieces – that work in a variety of room sizes, can be moved from room to room, and can even offer some storage options.
- When furnishing a living room consider two loveseats over one large sofa. They’re easier to move and can be place in a variety of ways.
- Be creative with your tables. Choose interesting bases and use plate glass for the top. Use these in a living room or as nightstands by a bed.
- Unless you have a large home, select furniture and accessories that are on a small scale. They’ll fit into most spaces as you move them around in your home.
- When you’re arranging furniture, try to think ‘outside the box’ and use things in unexpected ways. Place a loveseat at the end of a bed or use a dresser to hold DVDs and entertainment equipment.
- Choose a color scheme and stick to it. If you carry the colors throughout your home, you’ll be able to move furniture and accessories from room to room.
- Storage is in short supply in most homes. Select furniture pieces that offer drawers or hanging space, such as a chest of drawers or an armoire. They can be used in a bedroom, living room, mudroom, foyer, and more.
- Gather together a collection of pillows, fabrics, and accessories that harmonize with your primary color choices. You’ll be able to change the look with the seasons, giving your furniture a new, fresh look throughout the year.
- Buy side chair, pillows, lamps, and vases in pairs. They’ll add symmetry to a room and, you’ll also have the option of using each piece in a separate room if desires.